Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Switching Over: Day One

And so has begun day one of my biphasic sleep cycle experience!

My night sleep consisted of 1:00-5:30 am. 4 1/2 hours to start, although I eventually hope to sliver it down to 3. I haven't seen the sun rise since my trip to an amusement park two months ago. It's very strange to get up while it's still dark, yet oddly satisfying.

Also, taking a walk when all the insane morning joggers are attempting to sweat their way through life is entertaining in the extreme. "HA!" you say as you contentedly stroll through the neighborhood with your Glee blaring through your headphones. "Try walking next time, crazy joggers. It's equally refreshing and you never have to look constipated!"

My 90 minute nap is scheduled for 5pm. I must stay busy to avoid sleeping temptations.

Edit at end of Day 1:

Logging the effects I noticed throughout the day.

Appetite: Most definitely increased, especially for grains. However, I have a history of craving carbs whenever I pull an all-nighter or don't get enough sleep, so I am hoping this will reduce once my adjustment period is over.

Eyes: Slightly red after core sleep, but noticeably bloodshot after my 90 minute nap. More troublesome, however, is the increased tiredness/difficulty focusing. This may be in part to my brand new eyeglass prescription, but I have difficulty doing my #1 time wasting activity for any serious length of time: reading fiction on my computer! Again, I expect this side effect will lessen with time.

Difficulty sleeping: I fell asleep fairly quickly during my 90 min nap, although I was pretty groggy when my alarm went off for it.


Fatigue/Tiredness: Mild amounts of both, as to be expected with sudden decrease of sleep and continued physical activity. Even though I felt super tired for about an hour after my nap, following that my energy level rose.

Productivity: I definitely noticed that I had more time on my hands. I'm still enough in "summer mode" and I wasn't so tired that the boredom drove me mad, but I will have to invest in some hobbies/projects/other activities so that I don't lose my mind or succumb to the desire to sleep more than I should. Luckily, the next few days will keep me busy, so I should be all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment