Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Switching Over: Day Two

And so ends the second day of my biphasic sleeping journey. Today was very similar to yesterday, with the same difficulty getting up in the morning and mild lethargy throughout the day. (Another enjoyable walk while witnessing the sun rise!)

Interestingly, I hit a wall of tiredness about 3:30pm, and was very glad to finally reach my 5pm nap. It's 11pm now and I'm starting to lose my steam. So it seems 11/2-2 hours before each sleeping section is where I meet my match for now.

So far my worst problem is the extreme grogginess I feel when I wake up from my nap. By body has no interest in being torn from sleep. It probably takes me about 45 minutes before I am conscious enough to have a proper conversation. Strangely, waking up from my core sleep is not as difficult (although I' m not exactly jumping out of my bed with joy) despite my complete lack of history of ever getting up early in my entire life. Odd.

I had to tell my mother (whom I live with) about this experiment so she doesn't wake me up in the middle of my nap, and I believe there is now another strike against the sanity of Julia! Ah, family.

Logged effects of Day 2:

Appetite: Still increased, although not as much as yesterday. I also came prepared and ate a full lunch instead of a light lunch like yesterday, and that definitely helped.

Eyes: Slightly better from Day 1 in terms of tiredness and inability to focus. Redness is about the same.

Difficulty Sleeping: Interestingly, both nights I have woken up during my core sleep, but fallen back asleep almost immediately. Nap time took maybe 20-30 minutes to fall asleep, but I was OUT for the rest of the nap. As mentioned above, drowsiness following the nap is still a problem.

Fatigue/Tiredness: Comprobable to yesterday. See second paragraph of this post for details.

Productivity: I spent most of today doing things that required movement, which definitely helped my energy levels and focus. Overall productivity was the same as the average monophasic day, but it took me longer to do the things I needed to do. Reaction time was also slightly delayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment